Thursday, October 22, 2009

Una Manzana para Mi

Classes went very well today. I think I am beginning to get the hang of this whole teaching thing. (Knock on wood, it may have just been a good day!) The day began with a morning art class with the children from 5th grade. They are learning how to draw straight lines with ruler and of course more to the point, what the vocabulary and instructions are in English. This is art in English. The concepts may be a little on the easy side, but understanding what we are instructing them to do is the part that is difficult for them. But once they set to work, I walked among their desks, helping those who needed it. Some were afraid to get help from me because they didn't know how to ask the question that they wanted to ask, but I'm getting better about not letting them slide. I stand there and say "try! what do you want to ask me?" or I try and guess what they need and form the question for them and explain so that they understand. It is fun and really rewarding to begin to make connections with them. They are so darn cute! Today a whole group of them got really excited about asking me for me email address. They came running over to me with pieces of paper and a pens, clamoring for me to write down my email. I got such a kick out of it! They all want to be my friend on Facebook and to know if I have messenger. I think it is probably best if we get to know each other in class first. ;)

Today I also taught two sessions of English to the teachers, one during the lunch hour and another in the late afternoon. I realized today that here I am, teaching English for the first time, with no real notion of the best way to present the subject matter, and my audience, my students, are a bunch of teachers! But I must be doing something right because every week my classes have grown by one or two teachers. Word is spreading! And I love it. I really do love teaching. It is so satisfying to share a piece of knowledge, whether basic or complex, that I possess with someone who is unfamiliar with it. To see them begin to understand and know that I played a part in their acquisition of knowledge is an amazingly gratifying experience. For someone like myself, who has always loved learning, to now be in the position to help another person learn - well I'm just tickled pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment