Thursday, October 22, 2009

Rainy Day in Solsona

Today it is raining in Solsona and I am reminded of life in Eugene. The climate is surprisingly similar here and I feel at home. The streets have become familiar to me and I know my way around. It is easy as it is small, but it is still a nice feeling. Very often, I pass people I know and exchange "adeos", catalan for adios. The children from school know me and are always excited to see me walking about in their town. Yesterday afternoon two girls spotted me and came running up to say excited hellos, but then instantly changed their expression to that of deers in headlights when I responded to them and asked them what they were doing that afternoon. It was a bit more than they bargained for I think. They are still learning, but at least they are enthusiastic.

In class yesterday I had an experience that tested my humility. Rosa, the English teacher that I work with, decided to ask the children how many languages they know. She went around the room asking them and some knew three, some knew five, and so on. Then she turned to me and said "Deborah, how many languages do you speak?" I was almost speechless, then meekly said "one". "Oh, you only know one? We beat you!" she said triumphantly. Grrrr! She knows I can't admit that I know Spanish - I'm not sure what she was trying to prove. Oh well, I hope it made the kids feel good and smart, even at my expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment