Sunday, October 18, 2009

Un Camino

On Friday afternoon I decided to hike up to the castle to get myself out for some air and exercise. It was just before 7pm when I set out and the sun was already down behind the hills that form the valley that I live in. The sky was still light and the prepirineos were bathed in purple and pink light in the distance. They were stunning. As I left the populated part of the city and began to cross the field to reach the path that leads up to the castle I came upon a small herd of goats on their way homeward - an old peasant walking alongside of them, guiding them gently though they obviously knew the way. Their bells clanged quaintly in the evening quiet and when I passed the man and offered a smiling "buenas tardes" he returned the greeting with a one-toothed grin. Delightful man! I watched the goats continue their way homeward for another moment, enjoying the farm smells that mingled with the evening air, then resumed my ascent. The temperature has changed here, the sun still shines with purpose during the daytime, but winter is in the air and it was brisk and cold as I walked purposely upwards. Once I warmed with the exertion of the climb the air was a welcome companion and the cold felt good on my cheeks and in my lungs. When I reached the top the light had changed. The sky was a hazy orange-pink and a few bats began to dart about against the castle wall in the growing dusk. I sat for a time on a rock wall, looking down on Solsona, and watched as the town began to light up as darkness fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment