Friday, November 27, 2009

Dia de Acción de Gracias

Yesterday was an interesting day. Unlike the rest of you, I had to go to work since Thanksgiving is of course not celebrated here. But it was a neat opportunity to share something of US culture with my students. With my young students, I explained a little about the history of Thanksgiving and the traditions, and then I showed them how to make a hand turkey! They spent the class drawing and decorating their turkeys - then I took pictures of them with their drawings to share with you. I'll post the pictures soon, since I took them with the school camara and haven't gotten my hands on them yet. But they are super cute.

With my adult classes I was able to explain a bit more about the holiday, and then as a speaking exercise we went around the room and they said what they were thankful for. It brought me some of the spirit of the day even though I was far from home.

For dinner, even in our teensy weensy kitchen, we managed to whip up a really delicious feast. We made mashed potatoes, stuffing, roasted squash, and green beans. Yummy! I missed making a pie, but we found a Spanish pumpkin pastry, so that had to suffice until next year. And thanks to Skype, we shared our meal with family and friends even from thousands of miles away. What a world. 

In the spirit of the day, I am thankful for the opportunity to be here, for my family and friends, for the sunshine, for internet and Skype, for café con leche, for the ability to communicate in another language with ease, for delicious and extremely affordable Spanish wine... the list goes on.

So, desde España, Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment