Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We'll Always Return to Rome

After 10 days in Italy, and another 4 days of having my two fantastic cousins for a visit, I feel like I am back in Solsona for real now. We had a great time in Italy. We traveled by train once we landed in Rome, first up to Pisa, then over to Florence. Two nights in Florence at a great little B&B run by a Canadian named Gabriella. Il Bargello, I highly recommend it to anyone with plans to spend some time in Florence.

We then made our way to Siena for one night - no props for our lodging that night. We found the most wonderful restaurant that evening, and though I love you Spain, in the food department you just don't quite make me swoon like those seductively delicious gnocchi. Sorry.

We spent one night in Rome, in Trastevere, which means across the Tiber. I loved it over there. For anyone who has spent time in Barcelona, it reminds me of the Born district. We wandered its narrow side streets for the evening and the next day tackled Vatican City and the Pantheon. In the afternoon, Kristian's aunt met us by Trevi Fountain and we hopped on a train together and headed about a half an hour south to spend 4 days with her and her lovely family in Pontinia. Her husband has his own business selling milking equipment so he knows all the farmers in the surrounding area, and as a result is always being gifted various fresh cheeses and meats. The fresh ricotta made me never want to leave.


On Top of the Duomo in Florence



On one of the days there, we took a train to Pompeii, and spent several sunny hours wandering through the ruins of that lost civilization. And for our last day in Italy, we traveled back to Rome and spent another day walking around and seeing the most amazing, mind-blowing structures. It is just SO OLD.

The next morning we were back on a flight to Barcelona. It never felt so good to be able to speak Spanish than when we arrived. I love the sound of Italian, but I don't speak it and so getting back to Spain where I could ask for directions, chat with a salesperson, etc. was a welcome change.

I've posted an album of the trip on Picasa, since there are too many fotos to post here. Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment